How To Make Soya Bean Meal For Animal Feed?
Soya bean meal is a valuable ingredient in animal feed due to its high protein content and nutritional benefits. Knowing how to prepare it can help you optimise your animals’ nutrition. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make soya bean meal for animal feed:
1. Sourcing Quality Soya Beans: Begin with high-quality soya beans. Ensure they are clean, free from mould, and of the right moisture content. Quality beans will result in better meal.
2. Cleaning and Sorting: Clean the soya beans to remove dirt, stones, and debris. Sort them to eliminate any damaged or discoloured beans.
3. Heat Treatment: Heat treatment is essential to inactivate anti-nutritional factors. You can do this through roasting, extrusion, or steam cooking. Roasting at 140-160°C for 10-15 minutes is a common method.
4. De-hulling and Grinding: Remove the outer hulls from the heated beans, leaving behind the de-hulled cotyledons. Grind the cotyledons into a fine meal using a grinder.
5. Oil Extraction (Optional): If you wish to extract soybean oil, use a mechanical oil press. The remaining meal can still be used for animal feed.
6. Quality Control: Regularly check the meal for quality, ensuring it meets nutritional specifications and safety standards.
7. Storage: Store the soya bean meal in a cool, dry place to maintain its freshness and prevent spoilage.
Read more on Animal Feeds