How Long Does Soya Bean Meal Last?
Soya bean meal is a valuable ingredient in animal feed, and proper storage is crucial to maintain its quality and nutritional value over time. The shelf life of soya bean meal can vary depending on storage conditions and packaging. Here’s a guide to help you understand how long soya bean meal can last:
1. Proper Storage Conditions: Soya bean meal should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and moisture. When stored correctly, it can last for up to 6-12 months.
2. Airtight Containers: Using airtight containers or bags can significantly extend the shelf life of soya bean meal. This prevents exposure to air and moisture, which can lead to spoilage.
3. Temperature Control: Maintaining a consistent temperature is essential. Ideally, store soya bean meal at temperatures below 70°F (21°C). Avoid fluctuations in temperature, as they can accelerate deterioration.
4. Monitoring for Signs of Spoilage: Regularly inspect the meal for any signs of mould, unusual odours, or discolouration. If any of these are present, discard the meal immediately.
5. Purchase Fresh: Whenever possible, buy soya bean meal from reputable suppliers known for their quality and freshness.
6. Rotate Stock: Follow a first-in, first-out (FIFO) system to ensure you use the oldest stock first and minimise waste.
Read more on Animal Feeds